Are You Ready to Volunteer?
Who are NAMI Edmond-North OKC Volunteers?
A volunteer is anyone who, without compensation or the expectation of compensation, performs a task at the direction of and on behalf of the organization. The majority of NAMI Edmond-North OKC Affiliate’s volunteers are individuals coping with the mental illness of a family member, health service providers, and consumers of mental health services who are in recovery.
NAMI Edmond-North OKC Affiliate volunteers serve:
- As trainers, peer education course teachers and peer support group facilitators
- As advocates to the Oklahoma state legislature
- As advocates involved in the training of CIT (Crisis Intervention Team) officers
- As members/attendees on several advocate boards and task forces
- As assistants to perform clerical and secretarial responsibilities
- As outreach volunteers in the community
- As fundraisers to support the NAMIWalks event or other fundraising efforts
- As board members
- And are willing to offer help and hope to those with mental health needs.
Examples of our current needs include:
Newsletter Contributors: We are looking for book reviews, NAMI event descriptions, class or group experience, and other topics of interest to our readership. We could also use writers to create the content for our posters and website. For inquiries and submissions please use the contact us page.
Brochure Deliveries: It would be great to see our “What to Do in a Mental Health Crisis” brochure in the waiting rooms of hospitals and doctors offices. Would you be willing to take brochures to a few places once a month? Multiple openings.
Audio Video help: We need someone willing to attend our Ed Talks and be familiar with the audio visual equipment to support our speakers. For inquiries and submissions please use the contact us page.
Walk Captains: The NAMI Walk is in June, but it isn’t too early to start organizing. Join the volunteer group that has already begun to make this out best effort ever.
Event manager(s): This position reports to our events coordinator. One project coming soon is our participation in Coffee Chats at the State Capitol. We have many projects through the year. The more volunteers we have the more events we can attend.
Advocates: Are you interested in policy? Our advocacy committee needs some active members to follow and advocate improvements to our mental health system.
Do you have a talent you would like to share? Please let us know your passion. We probably have the perfect assignment for you.
Please review our volunteer policies before volunteering.